This content is from AVIA’s bi-weekly email newsletter, the AVIA Bulletin, where we share industry news and explore healthcare trends. Want the Bulletin directly in your inbox? Complete the form at the bottom of this page to subscribe.
Riding the digital roller coaster
As we read through industry news this week, we couldn’t help but think of a roller coaster – thrilling highs followed by rapid dips, twists, and turns. Digital transformation often follows this roller coaster pattern: huge wins followed by a quick pivot or hurdle to conquer. AI is transforming healthcare and improving patient care… but it also has to overcome inherent biases to serve all populations equitably. Health systems are quickly and necessarily advancing with digital…but they need to stop experimenting and commit to a path.
In this week’s bulletin, we explore the ups and downs of digital in healthcare, and how we can make a difference. Let’s ride this coaster.
- The digital solution framework for achieving health equity [AVIA]: “Health equity has dramatically advanced over the past several decades, but we’ve left people behind. That must change,” says Sarah Carroll, Sr. Director at AVIA. Digital solutions can help address health inequities in our communities. Explore the 12 solutions we recommend.
- Algorithmic bias in health care exacerbates social inequities – how to prevent it [Harvard]: While AI has the ability to drastically improve patient outcomes, it can suffer from bias, which has major implications for healthcare. How can health systems and digital solutions address this “algorithmic bias” in healthcare?
- Return on AI [Workflow]: A study found that the greater the amount of digital capital a company has accumulated, the larger the productivity gains it will see within three years. Learn how leading companies, including Optum, are leveraging AI to seed job and market growth.
- Livongo founder says the time for ‘piloting’ is over [HealthcareITNews]: “The next 18 months are going to define the next five years [in healthcare],” said Glen Tullman, CEO of Transcarent, during the 2021 AVIA Virtual Network Summit. The industry disruptor highlighted the importance of partnerships to advance healthcare and how health systems need to shift to a more consumer-centric model.
- June 2, 1 – 2 PM CT: Care Orchestration and Command Centers: Transforming Care Across the Continuum
- June 23, 12 – 1:30 PM CT: Leveraging Digital to Make Your Clinical Assets Work For You, Not Against You
- Recording: 4 Big Moves to Emerge Stronger with Digital | View the recording and access the slides
Graph of the week
Digital makes winners and losers. As Eric Langshur, founder of AVIA, discussed in his talk at the 2021 AVIA Virtual Network Summit, digital leaders will emerge stronger, driving revenue and growth, while digital laggards will get left behind. Learn more about the digital imperative on AVIA Connect.
Listen to Eric’s talk
Honoring AAPI History Month
In May, we celebrate Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, honoring the generations of Asian and Pacific Islanders who have enriched America’s history and are instrumental in its future success. Hear from AVIA’s Chrissy Foo about what being Chinese-American means to her and check out our list of resources to learn more about and support the AAPI community.